The ideal therapy horse is sound, has an unflappable temperament and patient demeanor. Our horses have come from many different backgrounds including ranching, roping, cutting, school horses, show horses, and trail riding. If you have a horse (or horses) you’d like us to consider, please read our therapy horse criteria below to see if your horse fits the bill!
Each horse donated/leased to Swiftsure Ranch must:
- Between the ages of 6-17 years old
- Be unflappable (nothing bothers them), and have appropriate reactions to unexpected stimuli
- Have full and complete vision
- Have a solid, strong back
- Be forgiving of an inexperienced and unbalanced rider
- Be completely sound in all four limbs. It is essential that our horses have a free-moving stride at the walk, trot, and canter and are capable of smooth transitions.
- Have no preexisting medical conditions (ie. cushings, laminitis, navicular)
- Be well trained under saddle to respond to all four aids: hands, feet, seat and voice
- Be comfortable and familiar with arena work
- Be comfortable around a variety of people
- Be comfortable at a tie rail or crosstie
- Be comfortable with other horses
- Be receptive and willing to training
- Be able to hold up in a rigorous schooling program
Any records or additional information that you may have, such as registration papers, health records, photos, and awards would be very helpful.
We may consider a lease situation if the horse/pony meets all of the criteria specified by the Equine Manager.
On behalf of all our riders, thank you for your interest in placing your horse at Swiftsure Ranch. It is only through the generosity of people like you that our riders can achieve remarkable accomplishments and experience the joy of riding a horse.
Please contact us with any questions at (208)578-9111.